time to shine and time to share the spotlight.

you know something is worth your while when you still find yourself smiling --- hours after it.


this morning, i received messages from a new acquaintance, kuya bong (who's slowly becoming a new friend), asking me to do a recording with him. recording -- ah, it sounds so legit and grand! but no, it's nothing like that, at least for me. he and his churchmates are joining a contest and he happens to be the trainer. funny how he thought of recording my voice while singing their piece to serve as their guide during practice. really, that's hilarious. i don't mean to demean myself, self-deprecation is not my thing. but i am definitely aware of my best qualities, capabilities and talents, and singing, i know (and that, i know for sure) is not one of them.

i love singing. i go to youtube often, type in "(title of the song) with lyrics", click search and sing my lungs out. i have a total of ten voice records saved in my phone, several videos of my singing self, and videoke-ing is one of the things i love doing.

that was when kuya bong heard (and first knew) me. i was the girl who held the mic majority of the time during madz' birthday. i was the one who didn't allow anyone else hold it for more than two songs.

it's not as if glasses break when i sing. i never had a history of breaking anyone's eardrum either. i get the tones and tunes and melodies right. but i don't really carry a voice that is at par with rachelle's, tets' or ate monette's (these three, by the way, are my three good friends who, i really believe, will make lots of money in music industry should they decide to shift careers there).

so as i was saying, to receive an offer to do something as if i sing so well is uncalled for, unnecessary and unlikely. but kuya bong was not joking. he was so damned serious about it that he even offered to go to our place, meet me and get it done. he prodded me and he believed in whatever voice quality i have and he never gave me the chance to say no (the man, i figured, is not someone who will take no for an answer). he told me it is my time to shine. i should believe him, he is musically inclined, he can play the guitar and piano and he is a pro!

but it was not the prodding or the encouragement or the boladas that got me into agreeing. well maybe, part of it. but what made me say yes, wholly, was the fact that i offered the exact same thing to ate monette. i asked her to join me and i asked kuya bong to let her. and though it was not the original plan and what he had in mind, i'm pretty sure that the end result turned out to be something greater than how he envisioned it to be.

it's true. when you are given the chance to shine, it is far more rewarding when you share the spotlight.

the entire experience is truly worth my while. no. it's even worth posting and blogging about!


and have i mentioned the song, which i got to know just now, is really beautiful? i love the lyrics. here it goes..


No comments:

Post a Comment