twenty-something glory


i turned 26.

most people think that being twenty-something is the prime stage of everyone's life, the time when one becomes invincible, unrestrainable and capable -- of anything and everything. and you know what, i believe that's right.

when i hit this phase, i told myself i'll be exactly just that--that there's nothing in this world i'll merely tolerate, nothing i'll fear about, nothing i won't dare trying. i demanded, dared and willed myself to:

1. select friends carefully and wisely.
i made friends with beautiful people, each one contributing to my growth as an individual, each one performing a specific important role, each one i am extremely thankful for.

2. love my body the best way i ever will
i eat clean and healthy, as much as i can, as much as self-discipline permits me. i refuse to abuse and give it the rest and exercise it deserves. i became comfortable with it now more than ever. i enjoyed the sea wearing bikinis without the slightest hint of discomfort and shame. because i thought, when will i ever wear one? now is the time.

3. spend on holidays and getaways. i went to places i dreamed of going, even if it meant i fell short of my target savings. there will always be chances to save up again, but i will never be as young, as alive and as carefree. so i go, indulge and experience.

4. get that tattoo i've always deemed meaningful
i heeded nobody's approval and i won't mind anybody's disapproval. this is what i want to motivate myself with, and this is how i want to be reminded by, day in and day out.

5. let go of the relationship that stopped me from seeing myself as an amazing woman. yup! i am amazing and so are you and everyone else. i shouldn't just settle for something good or better. it's best or nothing. boy, it wasn't easy to let go. it was terrifying. it's painful. but just like getting a tattoo, for the liberating satisfaction that followed, it's worth it!

6. give my job all the energy and passion it requires of me.
i applied for it, i convinced those interviewers i am the perfect fit, i chose it. i can't just give it my halfhearted effort and attention. it's where all my resources come from. i got a lot from it--experience, money, reasons for waking up everyday, purpose in life--how can i not love it? i have nothing to complain but everything to be thankful for.

7. buy that life insurance
i know that the best way to prepare for the future is to do so at the earliest time possible. this is security and in the long run, this is financial stability. by far, this is my wisest, most mature move.

8. build my finances.
i try to spend but not overspend. i save as much as i can, of course without having to sacrifice my everyday need. i am more organized and strategic about it now. like how much goes to my mutual fund account and how much goes to my savings bank account.

9. make fresh new goals.
i'm working on it. it's just so delicious to keep on making new ones. ;)

10. stay goofy and enjoy everyone's company.
because that's where the youthful glow comes from. 


No comments:

Post a Comment